Swinging Bridge

Swinging Bridge



Originally constructed in 1886, the Lovers Leap Bridge was made of barrel staves and wire, then replaced by a bridge on stilts. In 1902, the bridge was condemned for safety reasons, and another was constructed in its place in 1904. That bridge did not last long! In 1920, the bridge collapsed with two people on board, neither of whom was injured. In 1922, the present bridge was erected to its current span of 262 feet. It was refurbished in 1954, and has seen frequent improvements since then.

Always Open!

Reasons to Visit

 The Swinging Bridge was originally called the Lovers Leap Bridge because of a legend that a heartbroken Indian maiden jumped to her death in the Ravine.

Location:
Columbus Junction, IA 52738

Management:
City of Columbus Junction
232 2nd St, Columbus Jct 52738
319-728-7971

Learn more »